What is Continuous Casting?
In the Continuous Casting process, molten metal is poured through a die of the desired outside profile. If an inner shape is also desired, the material may flow around a mandrel to create that profile. As the material flows through the water-cooled die, sufficient heat is extracted to solidify an outer shell. As it continues to solidify, the material can then be drawn by pull rolls. Continuous Casting speed based on the solidification rate is managed to allow the material to be sawed into bars, and may later be cut to a desired shorter length.
Continuous cast product is often chosen to dramatically reduce machining cost by casting in a desired shape. Premium quality continuous cast bars and shapes from MetalTek are selected because our products are straight, true, and concentric to keep your high speed bar machines running. Many large and non-traditional shapes are available.
Continuously cast parts can be found in applications across multiple industries. Examples include landing gear bushings and sleeves for Aerospace, chain linkage for Hydro dam gate operation and pipe supports for propulsion systems in Marine ships.
Continuous Casts Ready-To-Use and In-Stock
Continuous cast product is shipped from stock in ready-to-use convenient sizes and shapes. We stock C954, C955 and C959 aluminum bronze, AMS 4880 nickel aluminum bronze, gear bronze, bearing bronze, manganese bronze and our proprietary Bearium alloys. If you have a special need for high volume, large shapes, or different sizes, give us a call.
Sizes available in many non-ferrous alloys:
- Solids: 0.5" / 13 mm to 9"/ 229 mm O.D. and lengths to 144"/3,660 mm
- Tubes: 1.125" / 29mm to 9"/229 mm O.D. and lengths to 144"/3,660 mm
- Rectangle to 4" x 15"/102 mm x 381mm and lengths to 384" or more (9754 mm or more)
- Tolerances range from .020" - .125" depending on shape and size
Continuous Casting – When to use it:
- Solid bars or tubes that require further machining
- When shape or profile can be cast in to reduce machining cost
- Variety of volume, including small usage – Continuous Cast can be bought by the inch
Continuous cast product from MetalTek is supplied by Wisconsin Centrifugal.