Patternless molding is a process where the desired shape is machined directly into the sand mold.
Patternless Molding is very flexible because the shape is stored as an electronic image and converted to a machining language for actual production.
Minor changes can be made quickly and efficiently within the electronic world with a high level of confidence that all resulting dimensions will be accurate. Changes can be made at any time up until the mold cavity is cut. Time to market for any size program, but especially low volume and prototype, is cut in half.
Why select Patternless Molding?
- Turnaround time is much less than for new pattern development
- No pattern storage, maintenance, or tracking
- Cost effective solution for R&D projects
- Quick modifications for shrink factors related to different alloys being poured to the same design
- No tooling wear or repair
- The product is still manufactured using standard production processes
Patternless molding at MetalTek is featured at our Carondelet division.