Partnering with customers in heat, wear, and corrosion resistant applications since 1890.
Specialists in heat, corrosion, and wear resistant ferrous sand cast alloy components for countless demanding applications in a broad range of industries. Located just outside St. Louis, Missouri, Carondelet Division’s modern facility houses an expansive range of capabilities. Recognized for advanced, in-house technical and metallurgical expertise and assistance, Carondelet is the supplier of choice for small to medium size runs of production sand cast components for many industrial markets. Special projects such as the Pentagon Memorial, fusion power research, and petrochemical fired heater projects have made us a visible and important metals partner around the world.
Customer Engineering & Metallurgical Support
Carondelet Division’s in-house staff of degreed metallurgists and engineers works closely with customers to find the best solutions to their specific requirements.
- Design using ProE and AutoCAD
- Solidification simulation using MagmaSoft
- Decades of customer collaboration and development of more than 300 specialty alloys.
- Assistance in design more manufacturing and conversions to single-piece cast components.
Processes and Capabilities
Pattern Design & Build
- Expert in-house capability to design and build custom patterns and fabrications employing optimal materials based on required life and tolerance, including wood, metal, synthetics, EPS / polystyrene, and others
- Skilled in managing internal details and coring
- Manage volumetric shrink, strength, and design to generate high integrity castings
Carondelet’s large, well-equipped sand casting facility combines cope and drag air set sand molding technology with years of employee experience and a commitment to quality.
- IMF mold line: The most advanced state-of-the-art, highly automated sand casting mold line offers optimal product consistency and repeatability
- Patternless molding: The capability to scan and store patterns electronically and create molds directly from the electronic data. Eliminates storage space requirements, pattern deterioration and upgrades. Allows electronic modification of new designs, pouring of the casting, and dimensional verification prior to manufacturing a conventional pattern
- Automated isocure line
- No-bake floor molding
- Pit molding for very large parts
Welding & Fabrication - Certs
- ASME Section IX
On-Site Heat Treat Capabilities
- Size capabilities up to 5 ft. x 10 ft. x 17 ft. (1.5m x 3.0m x 5.2m)
- Water and oil quench
- Multiple furnaces; zone surveyed and certified
- In-house heat treat capabilities up to 2,250° F (1,232° C)
Capacities & Capabilities
- Size up to 144” / 3,658 mm cube
- Ship weight up to 18,000 lbs. / 8,165kg
- Furnaces 800 to 12,000 lbs. / 363 to 5,443kg
- 100% induction melt
- Teapot and bottom pour ladles
- AOD refining
AOD (Argon Oxygen Decarburization) Refining
One of the few sand foundries with AOD capability. AOD removes contaminants for further alloy refining to help achieve optimum cost and alloy control. Capacity – 10,000 lbs. (4,536kg). AOD is required by specific grades, NORSOK Standards, Exxon Mobil, and specified by various customers. For more info about AOD, see our TekBulletin.
Materials - Alloy Grades & Modifications
We have over 300 alloy compositions including proprietary and patented alloys, as well as advanced development and mechanical patents improving the performance and life of castings. We routinely pour hundreds of ferrous alloys and special grades and bring much expertise in heat resistant alloy chemistries to also improve wear resistance.
In addition to industry standard alloys, MetalTek regularly works with customers to modify grades to deliver the performance needed for their particular application and environment.
For more information on MetalTek alloy capabilities, visit our Searchable Alloy Guide.
Laboratory & Non-Destructive Testing
Like all MetalTek facilities, Carondelet Division is equipped with an on-site chemical and mechanical laboratory.
Lab capabilities include:
- Chemical analysis, Optical Emission Spectrometer
- Tensile testing
- Stress-rupture testing
- Phase examination
Non-destructive testing capabilities include:
- Liquid Penetrant Inspection (LPI)
- Magnetic particle
- CMM capability to 5 ft. x 7 ft. x 17 ft. (1.5m x 2.1m x 5.2m)
- Laser scanning, including integration with models for dimensional compliance inspection
Accreditations and Certifications
Quality & Certifications
Our quality personnel manage a broad range of internally and nationally certified test functions and programs including:
- ISO 9001:2008 (QMS)
- NORSOK M650 Rev 4
- Duplex Grade 4A
- Super Duplex Grade 5A
- Super Austenitic CK3MCuN
- Inspectors to ASNT-TC-1A Level II
- PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Material Manufacturer